Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Captain's Log 5.12.Twenty.O.Nine

Hi.  I'm not in right now, but if you'll leave a message, I'll get back to you sometime in July.  How does life get so busy?  What am I doing wrong?  Am I doing something right?  Is this normal for people?  I sometimes think it's a part of life, then things settle down and I get used to that...then Boom.  Here we are again.  This time, it's not letting up for a while.  Oh well.

So you want to hear something really fun.  I was able to get in touch with a childhood friend.  We last saw each other at the end of 7th grade...that'd be uhm...1983.  I found her while searching online and sent a letter to an address, hoping they would forward if she moved.  She hadn't...and it was so good to talk with her.

This Friday is the end of school at our house.  Actually, Kelly finished about a month ago, but I've been finding some extra work for her.  That kid is fast.  Sarah finishes Friday though and starts a new job on Monday.  I think she's so glad to be done with school, she's secretly doing happy dances.  I know I am.  This year has drug on.

Well, that goofy title above makes it look like I'm a trekkie doesn't it.  I'm really not.  I just couldn't decide what to put.  I should just label every entry, "Random Thoughts Swirl Loosely Around Inside My Head Until I Write Them Down In My Blog Of Word Soup."  Hmm... not even close to being catchy is it?

Sarah's graduating this weekend.  We're having a dessert reception.  Lots of baking to get done... I guess I'll start Friday.  I ordered a 1/2 sheet cake from the bakery.  My mom is making pies (6 of them).  We'll pick up Ice Cream from the store and that just leaves 7 dozen brownies and 7 dozen cookies to make and bake.  She invited over 200 people so even if only 1/4 show up... well. And if no one comes, hey that's okay too because we'll make room in the freezer.  Seriously though, I hope I bring none of it home.   Sharing with you this awesome brownie recipe.  Nothing better! Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies And then I found this...Cooking Baking Tips.  Learn something new everyday.

My sister Becky came to visit mom this past weekend.  It was nice to visit with her and her family for a while.  It makes mom happy when she comes, so it's all good and that's what matters.  Although for a week after she leaves, mom does call me by her name.  But I understand because I'm always making the mistake of  calling wrong names with the girls.  If they didn't look so much alike... or maybe it's my eyesight.

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago.  When I was young, I had a very bad experience with a dentist and I have been afraid of them since.  Well, in March, I had a tooth hurting and went to see Dr. Ed (our dentist).  While getting a shot, it hit the nerve and I knew it was coming.  A break down.  So he starts to pull and he's apologizing and I say "it's okay, I deserve it."  He said "you don't deserve this, it's not a punishment."  When it was over, we were talking *I was babbling like an idiot* and told the story of the dentist when I was 9.  He made the person who brought me wait in the waiting room while I was getting a filling.  The shot hurt and I was scared (probably being so scared was what made the shot hurt) and I cried.  He said "Stop your crying you big baby.  If you'd take care of your teeth you wouldn't have to be here.  You deserve it."   It had been 7 years since my last visit to Dr. Ed.  My girls go on cue every 6 months.  Dh had wonderful work done.  But you think you're putting me in a chair if I don't have to be?  Well...after telling them EVERYTHING, they have been wonderful.  I went for a visit in late April (followup) and he took x-rays and we talked about what would be happening over the next few months.  I don't need anymore teeth pulled, but a few small fillings.  He was so patient and I really appreciated that.  His assistant was telling me about a story when she was in college and was sent to assist as a student.  They had a child come in and he was squirming and the doctor told her to sit on him.  She wouldn't do it and the office assistant came in, straddled the chair facing him, put his legs over hers and pinned his arms in place.  The dentist went to work.  So Dr. Ed's assistant went back and told her Professor what had happened and he was in shock.  Apparently no one else had ever said anything.   It makes me wonder how many more people out there are still doing this to children when their parents don't come in the room. :(  Anyhow...I go back in August and I'm not scared.  What a concept.

Guess that's enough for today.  Till next time. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathie,
    How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while, so wondering if all is well in your life! Hope you doing good :)

    Hugs,
    Marielena

    ReplyDelete