Monday, July 5, 2010

The Family Reunion

Every year, same time of the month, my husband's side of the family has their family reunion. Every year, the same rules apply, bring a dish or two to share. Every year, without fail, I wait till the last minute and end up grabbing something from Walmart. Every year. Why?

So there it was, family reunion weekend, we were ready leave our home in 32 hours and I was still trying to figure out what to take with us. I'd even considered picking up potato salad and chips from Walmart on the way there...but I didn't. I swore with all my heart, I was going to make an actual dish and take it along.

Dare I say, I broke my traditional ways.  I made something to take with us.  Albeit, 3 hours before going to bed the night before, but it was something.  Something cheatable...something doable...something simple. It was a box cake.  But since it was made at home, I deemed it homemade and went to bed smiling.  And it was German Chocolate baked in a bundt shaped pan, so it was almost spectacular.  I was impressed.

We had a great time visiting with everyone at the reunion.  And lunch is always overflowing with great food.  After I finished mine, I went to get some dessert and that's when I noticed another family member made a German Chocolate cake too.. lol.

I should have stuck with chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment