Friday, March 27, 2009

Life is....Busy Fun

I have been having so much fun this month, it's just crazy.  And with all that fun, busy-ness was in full bloom.

After we started off with vacation, we've had two bowling afternoons with our homeschool group.  This is such a great deal the alley gives us.  $1 a game and $1 shoe rental...who can pass that up?

Early in the year, Kelly wanted to do a unit study on Forensic Science.  I put it off (for whatever reason) but finally decided to start it for her.  I suggested we open it to some others in our HS group and make it limited to 6-8 people.  Well, that is going over awesomely!  We have 6 teens and they're all having fun with it.  We've had a Forensic Latent Prints Investigator come in and show what she does and then she let them lift their prints from a wide variety of surfaces.  We've covered Arson, Crime Scene Investigation (they missed sn many clues.. LOL), white powders, drug discussion, interviewing witnesses, being on a jury (that was interesting when one person didn't agree with the others) and my own non-personal favorite...a vomit lab.  They had to perform several experiments on vomit to decide where a victim had his last meal.  *Disgusting and they loved it and hated it.*  We still have blood spatter, hair and fibers and they'll have the chance to put together a crime scene that they've constructed in writing assignments.  It's been a lot of work, but it's been fun.

Then on the 14th, a friend and I went to a used homeschool book sale.  If you're a homeschooler, find out if your county or nearby big cities have these!  I bought all of Kelly's curriculum for next year or 47.00.  I love these things and wish I'd known of them 6 years ago.  I can only imagine how much money I'd have saved.  Tip...do not take your children!  I don't care how well behaved they are, they will get bored or want to buy as there is so much available!!  Go yourself and then go back with them if you must!!

Sarah had a couple of friends over for the Twilight dvd release.  She was at Wal-Mart at midnight to get her copy.. lol.  I haven't read the book even.  She's asked and asked, but I don't want to get sucked into it.  I know I'd probably like it if she did.

On the 20th, a friend and I hosted an International Night for our homeschool group.  It was the first time we've ever done anything like this and it was so much fun!  Any family who wanted to participate chose one country to study and make a display representing it on that night.  We had 8 out of 30 families involved and it was wonderful!!  It was so nice to study only one country and travel to 9 of them!  The kids had passports to be stamped or signed and there was so much food.  We travelled through Germany, Spain, France, Russia, South Korea, Greece, Japan and Canada.  Each place made a dish from that country and I have to say some of it was so very good.  I had Baklava, Yoki, Paella, Truffles....and those were the dishes I could remember.. LOL.  Such a fun night though and we will definitely do it again!

Carls birthday was on the 24th.  We really went all out for it.  Kelly made a cake, Sarah made a banner and I cooked dinner.  Woohoo.  LOL :)  But it was a nice night.

This week the girls have some friends over (again) because they're all going to Dare2Share in St. Louis.  It's a huge teen Christian conference that teaches teenagers how to put down their fear of sharing the Gospel with people.  It's life altering and to see the passion in these young people is just amazing.

My mom heard from my sister that baby Kaleb is doing well.  They've taken  him off everything but the feeding tube and a small amount of oxygen.  He weighs 2lbs 2oz now and can move to the hospital near his home (well... 35 miles near) when he makes it to 3lbs.

Anyhow...that's been the month so far.  Like I said...Busy Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment